From Tender Years to Father’s Rights

When parents separate, there are two major questions to be answered: With whom will the children live? And who will make major decisions for the children? In Ontario, we call parental decision making ‘custody’, and residential arrangements ‘residence’ and ‘access’. Joint custody implies that parents make major decisions together. Primary residence implies that a parent’s home is home base, while the other parent - the ‘access parent’- visits with the child according to a fixed schedule.