Hons. B.Sc., D.C.S, Acc. FM. (OAFM), Certified Specialist in Family Mediation, Arbitration and Parenting Coordination FDRP Med (FDRIO)
Accredited Family Mediator (OAFM)
Divorce Mediator – Med/Arb Primary
S30 Custody & Access Assessor
Collaborative Family Law Neutral
Voice of the Child Reports
Extern Program, George Hull Centre, Family Therapy Program
George Hull Centre, Elizabeth Ridgely (Director) and Daniel Bogue (Faculty)
Master’s Level Degree in Child Psychology, Assessment, and Counselling
Institute of Child Study, (OISE)
University of Toronto.
Honours Bachelor of Science, Psychology and Linguistics
University of Toronto.
My practice aims to:
- Utilize the marriage of theory and practice.
- Employ a systemic and holistic approach.
- Incorporate a flexible approach to all situations.
- Promote client and family centred interactions.
- Utilize a sense of humour where appropriate.
- Value team approach as a way to best serve the client.
- Compassionate and sensitive to the client’s diverse needs.
Focus of Practice
- Completing Private Section 30 Custody Evaluator.
- Accredited Family Mediator & Parenting Coordinator.
- Mediating comprehensive Parenting Plans.
- Mediating and Arbitrating Parenting Plans.
- Trained as a Collaborative Family Law, Neutral Family professional.
- Reunification Therapy for estranged children and their parents.
- Voice of the Child Reports (Views & Preferences Report).
- Authored several articles on Family Law, Social Science Research and Custody and Access Matters.
- Lectures on Domestic Violence and Power Imbalances for Lawyers and Mental Health Professionals.
Mediator, Arbitrator and Parenting Coordinator for Family Law Matters- at the Office of Ilana Tamari Associates
- Provides consultation to family lawyers who are dealing with custody and access matters and other related issues such as separation and divorce.
- Completes Section 30 (s.30 under the Child and Family Law Reform Act) custody and access assessments.
- Mediates fulsome parenting plans.
- Provides Primary and Secondary Mediation/Arbitration.
- Provides Parenting Coordination which includes mediation and arbitration.
- Reunification Therapy for children estranged from their parent/s.
- Collaborative Family Professional who works within Collaborative Family Law, assisting counsel to develop Parenting Plans and helping manage the process between counsel and their clients.
- Conducts Voice of the Child Report, Views & Preferences Report.
- provides consultation and Critiques of other professionals in the field of Family Law.
- Completes problem identification and intervention plans that are tailored to each case and are in the best interests of the children.
Panel Clinical Investigator- Speciality Cases
Office of the Children’s Lawyer
- Conducted full and focused investigations and reports pursuant to s. 112 of the Courts of Justice Act for proceedings before the court in custody/access cases.
- Provided assistance to counsel representing children pursuant to s. 89(3.1).
- Assessed and advocated for the best interest of the children.
- Evaluated capacity of parents to meet the children’s needs and interests.
- Provided recommendations on all matters concerning custody and access.
- Assisted parties to resolve their dispute where applicable with disclosure and settlement initiatives.
- Provided testimony for custody and access proceedings in Family Court.
Consultant- Preferred Provider
Warren Shepell (EAP Program)
- Provided supportive counselling to individuals, couples and families as part of a brief counselling model.
- Completed problem identification and intervention plan that was tailored to each case.
- Consulted with other mental health professionals and clinical managers
Child and Family Clinician
Peel Children’s Centre
- Provided individual, family and group counselling.
- Provided to the Court a written assessment of children and their families under Section 13 of the Young Offenders Act.
- Formulated a treatment plan and made recommendations to the Court for treatment of these children/families in the form of a report.
- Liaison work with agencies, schools, probation officers, detention centre, police, lawyers, etc.
- Responsible for counselling of children and their families as part of a multidisciplinary team, in a designated Children’s Mental Health Centre.
- Oversaw the clinical needs of the adolescents in Section 19 classes.
York Region District School Board
York Region, Ontario
- Responsible for report writing and provided feedback and assessment results to teachers, parents and other involved parties.
- Responsible for conducting comprehensive psycho/educational assessments for children and adolescents.
Roberts Smart Centre
- Provided individual, family and group counselling.
- Provided case management for the adolescents and their families.
- Responsible for a caseload of 17 moderately to severely conduct disordered young adults, adolescents and their families as part of a residential treatment facility designated as a Children’s Mental Health Centre.
- Oversaw the clinical needs of young adults, adolescents and their parents.
- Communicated with various agencies and other professionals regarding the client’s needs and concerns.
- Administered and interpreted Psycho/Educational assessments.
Workshop Leader and Facilitator
Jewish Family Services of Ottawa-Carleton
- Provided an interactive, professional development seminar for teachers on adapting Howard Gardner’s Multiple Theories of Intelligence in the classroom.
Traumatic Brain Injury Program Manager
Columbia Rehabilitation Centre
- Supervised a multidisciplinary treatment team that provided comprehensive rehabilitation to individuals, who sustained traumatic brain injuries.
- Oversaw the clinical program on a day to day basis.
- Marketed the traumatic brain injury program to potential referral sources.
- Administered, scored and provided feedback of neuropsychological assessments for adolescents and adults.
- Co-wrote neuropsychological assessment reports.
- Continued to develop and implement the head injury program.
Neurologic Rehabilitation Institute of Ontario
- Liaised with medical and legal professionals and insurance companies.
- Standardized reporting formats, edited all outgoing reports and chaired clinical/team meetings and case conferences for a staff of ten therapists.
- Responsible for staffing and supervising clinical team.
Neurologic Rehabilitation Institute of Ontario
- Administered neuropsychological assessments of children, adolescents and adults who had sustained a brain injury.
- Co-wrote neuropsychological assessment reports.
- Provided feedback to families and other health professionals.
- Devised case-by-case treatment plans.
- Provided supportive and educational counselling.
Group Therapy Leader
- Co-led therapy sessions for groups of learning disabled adolescents at a Children’s Mental Health Centre as part of an adolescent treatment team.
- Co-led assessment groups for learning disabled adolescents.
- Provided support and focus on social and emotional development to female and male learning disabled adolescents.
Hospital for Sick Children
- Administered and interpreted psychological assessments of developmentally delayed preschool children as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Conducted a pilot research study of Romanian adoptees.
- Provided counselling to parents.
- Accredited Family Mediator with OAFM
- Member of the Collaborative Law Practice of Toronto
- Member of the AFCC, Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, 2007 – present
- Member of the AFCC Ontario Chapter of Family and Conciliation Courts, 2009 – present
- Member of OAFM, Ontario Association of Family Mediators
- Member of the High Conflict Forum, monthly meeting, 2007 – 2016
- Peer consultation with Dr. Barbara Fidler, on Parenting Coordination and High Conflict families (monthly meetings), 2007 – 2017
- Member of FDRIO, Family Dispute Resolution Institute of Ontario, since 2014 to present
- Obtained certification with FDRIO (Family Dispute Resolution Institute of Ontario, for Mediation, 2017
- Director at Large with the Board of FDRIO, 2017 to 2018
- Gold sponsor for a two day FDRIO conference for family lawyers, judges and law students. March 13 – 14, 2014
- Lectured to Bar and Bench in Israel for 2011 and 2012
- Initiated the High Conflict Forum with the Family Court Justice Philip Marcus, Jerusalem, Israel, 2011, 2012
- Presented with OACCPP President’s Award for Distinguished Volunteer Service from the Ontario Association of Consultants, Counsellors, Psychometrists and Psychotherapists, November 7, 2009
- Certified Member of the Association of OACCPP, Ontario Association of Consultants, Counsellors, Psychometrists and Psychotherapists, 2002 – 2016
- Chair of the Professional Conduct Committee of the OACCPP, 2007 – 2010
- Director at large of the Association of OACCPP, 2006 – 2010
- Board member on the Ethics and Governance and Risk Management sub-committees, 2006 – 2010
- Member of Advisory Committee to Supervised Access Programs of York and Peel Regions, 2008 – present
- Jewish Family Institute Advisory Committee, 2006 – present
- Initiated and continued active member of peer support group for panel members for the Office of the Children’s Lawyer, 2002 – 2016
- Mentor to CHAT Alumni, to assist with their career and professional development, 2009 – present
- Contributing segments to GLOW, Canada’s Beauty and Health Magazine, on parenting issues, December 2006, May 2007, March 2009, and May 2010
- Authored article for the prestigious Jewish Review: Marriage: The End of the Story or the Beginning (Spring 2015)
- Authored article for the prestigious Jewish Review: From Tender Years to Father’s Rights: The Changing Landscape of Child Custody Disputes in Ontario, October 2016
- Family Arbitration Mandatory Training, Domestic Violence Screening Conference, Fully day (10 hours), Mr. Philip Epstein and Mr. Alfred Mamo, January 20, 2018.
- Implicit & Cognitive Bias, Dr. Philip M. Stahl, Ph.D., ABDP (Forensic), AFCC, January 23, 2018.
- OAFM Webinar, MOU and How best to prepare them for obtaining ILA, January 24, 2018.
- FDRIO Webinar, Different Personality Disorders and how best to affectively work with them, FDRIO Webinar, January 29, 2018.
- FDRIO, Family Dispute Resolution Institute of Ontario, Two Day Conference, November 1, and November 2, 2017. Speakers, Justice David Steinberg, Dr. Michael Saini, Stephen Grant, Lorne Wolfson, Barbara Fidler, Hilary Linton on topics ranging from mediation, mediation-arbitration, domestic violence, and voice of the child.
- Mr. Philip Epstein, Epstein Cole, New Case Law in Canada for 2016, March 1, 2017
- The Yoga Divorce, with Mr. Mike MacConnell, Accredited Family Mediator and Author. A mindful route to Resolving Disputes (a reflective approach), March 1, 2017
- Domestic Violence, Power Imbalance and Training with Bev LeMay and Nicola Savin, at AGM for Collaborative Law Practice Toronto, February 23, 2017
- Children Resisting Post-Separation Contact: Concepts, Controversies, Assessment & Intervention. Two day workshop with Dr. B. Fidler, October 7 & 8, 2016
- Collaborative Family Law Advanced Level II training with Deborah Graham Law firm, three day workshop, June 8, 9 & 10, 2016
- How to treat High Conflict and Conflict Avoidant parties using the Developmental model (Attachment Theory, Differentiation Theory: manage differences, and Neuroscience as new findings on the brain), by Dr. Ellyn Bader of The Couple Institute in California, June 15, 2016
- The Canadian Psychoanalytic Society, three day workshop with Renowned presenter Dr. Giuseppe Civitarese (from Italy), Charles Hanly, Louis Brunet and Irwin Kleinman present on Psychoanalytic Listening, Transference and Countertransference and working with Narcissistic Identity Patient’s, June 2, 3 & 4, 2016
- Seminar with Claudia Aronowitz, Mediator and Coach, Why Interpersonal Communication is difficult & How We Can Improve To Be Better Understood, June 2, 2016
- Seminar with Sarah Chana Radcliffe, specializing in Psychology, The Teen Years: Tools for Survival on how to handle the stress, pressure and daily life of being a teenager, book authored as The Fear Fix, Solutions for every Child’s Moments of Panic & Fear, May 18, 2016
- The Missing Piece, Child Resistant or Parent Rejection, with Justice Mackinnon and Dr. Drozd, May 2016, Full Day Seminar
- Arbitration course with Mr. Philip Epstein, Toronto 2014 (Full Day)
- AFCC – From Risk to Resilience: Exploring better Outcomes for Children (two day workshop October 2015)
- Domestic Violence and Power Imbalances Training with OCL, Spring 2015 (Full Day)
- Mr. Jon Graham, guest lecturer through AFCC, regarding Australia’s new initiatives in Family Law, February 2015
- Facing the Future: Challenges for the Children’s Lawyer: Child development. Dr. Jean Clinton, psychiatrist, guest speaker, April 27th, 2010
- Use of Self in Private Practice, OACCPP, 2013
- Make Room for Daddy: Clinical and Legal Challenges for Fathers in the Family Justice System: Attachment. Principal Speaker Diane Benoit, M.D., FRCPC. April 6th, 2011
- Guest Lecturer for Hillary Linton, Riverdale Mediation, at “Screening for Power Imbalances including Domestic Violence in Family Mediation and Arbitration”, October 2010 and April 2011
- AFCC Ontario Chapter Second Annual Conference, the Future of Family Law, October 15 and 16, 2010. Attended workshops: Children’s Statements, Assessment Practice Issues and Risk Management, The Future of Mediation and Arbitration, The Family Law Rules, What is ‘normal’ in Custody and Access: Should there be presumptions (of Joint Custody)?
- New Ways for Families: Advanced Training”, full day workshop, William A. Eddy, LCSW, Esq., April 29th, 2010
- “It’s all your Fault! Managing High Conflict People within a Legal and Clinical Context”, full day symposium, William A. Eddy, LCSW, Esq., April 28th, 2010
- “Alienation: Implications for Assessment and Treatment”, full day symposium, Dr. Leslie Drozd and Dr. Nancy Olsen, April 23rd, 2010
- Guest Speaker at the Jewish Family Institute, For the Good of the Children, “10 Lessons Learned from a Child Custody Consultant”, October 9, 2009
- Improving Your Interviews with Children, Interviewing about Preferences, Domestic Violence and Alienation and Estrangement, a full day workshop, Mindy F. Mitnick, Ed. M., M.A., Licensed Psychologist, Minneapolis, May 2009
- How Family Conflict Affects the Developing Brain, Dr. Jean Clinton, Psychiatrist, AFCC Ontario Chapter Inaugural Event, April 2009
- Tug of War: A Judge’s Verdict on Separation, Custody Battles and the Bitter Realities of Family Court, Mr. Justice Harvey Brownstone, AFCC Ontario Chapter Inaugural Event, April 2009
- Improving the lives of Children and Families in Conflict, AFCC Ontario Chapter Inaugural Event, April 2009
- “Smoke Screen or Fire?”, Allegations of Domestic Violence and Child Sexual Abuse in High Conflict Divorcing Families, A Symposium for Mental, Legal, and Child Welfare Professionals Struggling to Create Greater Collaboration, Peter G. Jaffe, Ph. D., C. Psych., University of Western Ontario, Centre for Research and Education on Violence Against Women & Children and Mindy F. Mitnick, Ed. M., M.A., Licensed Psychologist, Minneapolis, full day symposium, November 2008
- Completed 30 hour course in Family Law of Ontario, with Hilary Linton, LL.B., LL.M., Acc. FM., Lawyer, Arbitrator, May 2008 (3 days)
- High Conflict Divorcing Families: Practical Strategies to Prevent Alienation, A Symposium for Mental Health and Legal Professionals, Matthew J. Sullivan Ph.D., November 9, 2007
- Parenting Coordination: Part II Advanced Applications, Dr. Barbara Fidler, Ph.D., Acc. FM and Linda Chodos, MSW, RSW (full day), October 20, 2007
- Parenting Coordination: Part I Foundation of Parenting Coordination, Dr. Barbara Fidler, Ph.D., Acc. FM, Linda Chodos, MSW, RSW (full day), October 19, 2007
- Parenting Coordination: Overview of Family Law (3 hour seminar), Hilary Linton, LL.B. (ADR), October 18, 2007
- Divorce and Children’s Adjustment, Current Research and Implications for Practice, Joan Kelly, Ph.D., April 16, 2007 (full day)
- Divorce Poison, Clinical and Legal Considerations, working with Families of Alienated Children, Richard Warshak, Ph.D. and Panel Discussion to Follow, April 26, 2006 (full day)
- Gerard Klein, Ph.D., C. Psych, Psychologist, How to Manage Your Child’s Anger: A Positive Approach to Anger Management, November 2005
- Symposium. Working with High Conflict Families of Separation and Divorce: Best Practice Approaches for Professionals, April 6 & 7, 2005
- Jerome Price, M.A., Working Strategically with OCL (Office of the Children’s Lawyer) Clients, November 5, 2004
- Jerome Price, M.A., Caught in the Crossfire: Strategic Approaches with High Conflict Families, November 4, 2004
- Jay Pryor, Ph.D., C. Psych. One day workshop. Supporting Children and Parents Through Family Change, November 2003 (one day workshop)
- Dr. Stephen Hucker, Forensic Psychiatrist, Child Molesters, 2002
- OACCPP Annual Conference, Panel Discussion on Strategic Private Practice Development, November 5, 2009
- Barbara Coloroso, Parenting and Teaching with Wit and Wisdom, Raising children to be responsible, resourceful, caring individuals, through Jewish Family Institute, November 2008
- DSM Overview and its Practical Application, Dr. David Teplin, Psych. D., C. Psych. Oak Ridges Medical Centre, October 26, 2007
- Life Coaching: Skills, Techniques, Practices seminar, Dr. Patrick Williams, Ed. D., MCC, Founder and CEO of The Institute for Life Coach Training, October 26, 2007
- Cognitive Therapy for Depression workshop, Dr. Greg Dubord, M.D., Director Toronto Centre for Cognitive Therapy, October 25, 2007
- Advanced Cognitive Therapy Tools Workshop, Dr. Greg Dubord, M.D., Director Toronto Centre for Cognitive Therapy, October 2006
- Extern Program, George Hull Centre Family Therapy Program, George Hull Centre, Elizabeth Ridgely(Director) and Daniel Bogue (Faculty), 2001-2002
- Dr. Diane Benoit, Attachment Workshop, 2002
- Training for TAPP.C assessment, Peel Arson Prevention Program in assessing fire setting risk for children, 2002
- Wraparound Facilitator Training, (Case Management Training), 2001
- CAFAS Training and Certificate Reliable, (Symptom identification Certificate), 2001
- COPE Leader Training (Parenting workshop), 2000